RE: Corresponding function to given values...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35973] RE: [mg35966] Corresponding function to given values...
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 05:13:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here's a start:

pairs = {{1, 1}, {2, 4}, {3, 9},{4,16}}
ClearAll[f, g]
g[{a_, b_}] := (f[a] = b)
g /@ pairs
?? f

That defines f only at the points in your list of ordered pairs.

If you want to identify a polynomial (or other) fit, you could use Fit,
if you have in mind what the functional form might be.  Unfortunately,
it might not do what you expect!  You can also use Interpolation to
define f on the range of values you have.

expr1 = Fit[pairs, {1, x}, x]
expr3 = Fit[pairs, {1, x, x^2}, x]
expr4 = Fit[pairs, {1, x, x^2, x^3}, x]
expr5 = Fit[pairs, {1, x, x^2, x^3, x^4}, x]
expr6 = Interpolation[pairs]
Plot[Evaluate[# - x^2], {x, 1, 3}] & /@ {expr1,
  expr2, expr3, expr4, expr5, expr6[x]};

Bobby Treat