Re: Out of memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36025] Re: Out of memory
  • From: "Gareth J. Russell" <gjr2008 at columbia.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:22:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Julio,

I don't know about Windows in particular (never use it), but while you can
use hard disk space as temporary memory space, it is much slower than using
real memory. And using a disk on a slow external connection such as USB will
be even slower. You calculation may never finish! I suggest:

1) Getting as much real memory as possible. It is pretty cheap right now.

2) Checking your calculations to see if you can reduce the amount of memory
used.

Depending on what it is that is eating up all the memory, the participants
in this group may be able to help you with (2).

Gareth

P.S. I note also that you didn't tell us how much real memory you have. If
you don't have much, so that your calculation starts using hard disk space
immediately, it might turn out that with real memory, your calculation does
not take as long as you thought...