Re: RE: Notebook for Primes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36056] Re: [mg36023] RE: [mg35992] Notebook for Primes
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 05:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Well, this depends on the meaning of "polynomial" time. The running time
of the Sieve of Eratosthenes is Sqt[n], but time  complexity in the case
of prime testing is always expressed in terms of log[n], so the sieve is
considered exponential.  I think the fastest deterministic test is the
Rabin-Miller which is (I am not quite sure of that)  Log[n]^2, but it
depends on the unproved Generalized Riemann Hypothesis. Agrawal, Kayal
and Saxena give a Log[n]^12 algorithm, but they also give a complete
proof of its correctness. I have not read their paper but assuming that
it is correct, the algorithm is certainly much faster than the sieve. On
the other hand the GRH is most probably true...

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net