Re: Subsetting indexed variable?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36071] Re: Subsetting indexed variable?
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:36:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Below I slightly modify a problem Gareth Russell had.  I modified it to
 avoid confusion on how to generalize the solution to a different example.
 ------

 suppose we have:
    b[1,3] = 3;
    b[0,6] = 6;
    b[5678, 3] = 7;
    b[5678, 4] = 5;

 Then how can we get a list of what (b) can return when the first argument
 is (5678).
 In this example we want to get  {7,5}.  The solution is to use the
 following:

 In[5]:=
    posn=Position[DownValues[b], b[5678,_] ];
    Extract[DownValues[b], {First[#],2}& /@ posn ]

 Out[6]=
    {7,5}

 --------
 Let myself or the mathgroup know if you have trouble understanding
    {First[#],2}& /@ posn

 --------
 The solution above works because the definitions for (b) are stored in
 DownValues[b].
 You can see the definitions if you evaluate the following.

 In[7]:=
     DownValues[b]

 --------
 Regards,
    Ted Ersek

 download Mathematica Tips & Tricks from:
 http://www.verbeia.com/mathematica/tips/Tricks.html