Re: Need faster way to combine arrays

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36075] Re: Need faster way to combine arrays
  • From: "Mariusz Jankowski" <mjkcc at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:36:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kevin, in version 4.2 you can get approx a factor of 2 improvement by using

Transpose[Transpose/@{r,g,b},{3,2,1}]

This is currently the fastest method.

However, if you are using an earlier version of Mathematica, the code above
will unpack the data and therefore run slowly and eat up over 6 times more
memory. In that case compile your code and you will also get close to a
factor of 2 improvement. As an example, here is the code used in the DIP
package versions 1.0 and 1.1:

cplanarInt = Compile[{{x,_Integer,3}},
With[{d = Rest[Dimensions[x]},
Table[ x[[All, i, j]], {i, d[[1]]}, {j, d[[2]]}]]]

One final note, in your own work with large images, set $HistoryLength=1,
and check your code to see if it is unpacking your data using either
Developer`PackedArrayQ or ByteCount at intermediate steps in your
calculations.

Regards, Mariusz

--
Mariusz Jankowski