Notebook Manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36145] Notebook Manipulation
  • From: Cesar Guerra <lushstring at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:25:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi mathgroup;

Trying to manipulate notebooks from the kernel I found
an unexpected bahavior with Mathematica. First I tried

the following commands one by one (they are not int
the same cell, and they are not selected at same time
for evaluation)

nb = NotebookCreate[];
i = 0;
(* Purpose is a Do loop here *)
NotebookDelete[nb]               (*1*)
NotebookWrite[nb, "++i", All]    (*2*)
SelectionEvaluate[nb]            (*3*)
SelectionMove[nb, All, Cell]     (*4*)

If I repeat evaluating coomands (*1,2,3,4*) one by one
what is shown in the created notebook is an animation
of the index i in the same cell.
Naturally a loop must do the job. However when I
intent to collect (*1,2,3,4*) in the same cell the
result is not the same even whitout the Do loop (I
mean just evaluating this cell several times)

I would be grateful if some can explain what's going
on here or if there is something wrong with my
machine.

I worked with Mathematica 4.1 for Linux and Windows.

Best regards

Cesar