RE: Re: Lists and tables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36195] RE: [mg36105] Re: Lists and tables
  • From: "Annetts, Dave (E&M, North Ryde)" <David.Annetts at csiro.au>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 04:16:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Jerry,

>                    1)   Get data from excel into a coordinate
> list {x,y,z}
>                          e.g.   Node 1, {x1,y1,z1}
>                                   Node 2, {x2,y2,z2}
>                                   etc...

Why not just use
	data = ReadList["filename", Table[Number, {4}]];

Alternatively,
	data = ReadList["filename", Number, RecordLists->True];
	data = Partition[data, 4];
	cord = {#[[1]], #[[2]], #[[3]]}& /@ data;

>                    2)   Convert from Rectangular to
> Cylindrical (maybe)

Coordinate tranforms live in Calculus`VectorAnalysis`.  It's straightforward
to write a function that uses
CoordinateFromCartesian[{#[[1]], #[[2]], #[[3]]}, Spherical]& /@ cord;

>                    3)   Plot3D the data

This will be tricky -- ListSurfacePlot3D plots f[x, y].  ListContourPlot3D
which plots f[x, y, z] can be quite slow.

>                    4)   Generate a harmonic bessel function for that
> plot3D/graph
>
>                    5)   Find the equation(s) that spits out
> these harmonic
> bessel functions (which I think might be in the general form
> of Hankel
> Function solutions to the Helmholtz equation which shows
> cylinder harmonics
> of order "v")

Maybe I misunderstand ... isn't this the same as fitting a bessel function
to your data?  For this, you can use Statistics`NonlinearFit`.

> I can figure out step 5 if I can get steps 1 through 4
> figured out.  If
> anyone can write a recipe for me to follow that would be
> great, or even some
> tips and clues...Anything!!!

Regards,

Dave.