RE: Obtaining sequences from lists of lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36226] RE: [mg36168] Obtaining sequences from lists of lists
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:07:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bob,

Mathematica has commands to do exactly what you wish and their use is fairly
common. The first command is Apply (@@ in prefix form) and the second
command is Sequence.

If you have a list of arguments such as...

arglist = {{a, b}, c, {d, e}, 3, Report -> True};

you can insert them into a function, f, simply by applying f to the list.

f @@ arglist
f[{a, b}, c, {d, e}, 3, Report -> True]

If you want to insert them into another function, h, that also has other
arguments, then you can use Sequence and Apply.

h[firstarg, Sequence @@ arglist, Compile -> False]
h[firstarg, {a, b}, c, {d, e}, 3, Report -> True, Compile -> False]

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Bob [mailto:rdobrow at carleton.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Can anyone help me with this problem.

If I have an n-element list, (say where each element is itself a
list), such as {{a,b}, {a,b}, {a,b}}
is there a way to strip off the outermost nesting of the list to
obtain just a sequence of of these n elements, that is
{a,b},{a,b},{a,b} so that I can use this for input for some function.

I would like to do something like
Outer[SomeFunction, Table[{a,b},{N} ]] where I can enter N
dynamically.
The problem, of course, is that the output of the Table command is one
big list
and Outer is expecting a sequence of N separate lists after
SomeFunction.

Thanks for your help in advance.