Re: Re: copying cells in Mathematica 4.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38085] Re: [mg38066] Re: copying cells in Mathematica 4.2
  • From: Alfredo Octavio <aoctavio at mac.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 04:29:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I can report I do have this problem with Mathematica 4.2 in Mac OS X
10.2.2.
I can select contiguous cells using shift and not contiguous cells
(using command) but copying them results in one huge cell as you
reported.
I think is time for a Tech Support report
Ciao,
aov

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 03:09 PM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> As a follow up on this issue:
> I reinstalled Mathematica 4.1 for Mac OS X and found that I still have
> this problem. On the other hand Allan Hayes informed me that he did not
> have it on Mathematica 4.2 under Windows 98. I then tried it myself,
> with Mathematica 4.1 under Windows 98, and indeed I found I can copy
> and paste groups of cells and the cell structure is preserved. They do
> not get merged into a single cell with all the Mathematica markup
> visible as they do in my case under Mac OS X 10.2. I would like to know
> if other Mac OS X users have the same problem. If not, it may be caused
> by something weird in my installation, although it seems unlikely as I
> am not experiencing any other problems. I have not yet tried reporting
> this to Technical Support yet since I am not sure if other Mac OS X
> users are also experiencing the same behaviour, but if it is a bug it's
> an awful one.
>

> Andrzej
>
> On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 12:21 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>
>> I am having an extremely frustrating time with one "feature" of
>> Mathematica 4.2 which I swear was not present in earlier versions. It
>> find is quite dreadful and yet none seems to have complained about it
>> so far  so that I feel that perhaps I missing something obvious.
>> Anyway, this is the problem. I have two notebooks with a large number
>> of cells each. I want to copy some cells from one notebook to the
>> other. I am sure in earlier versions it used to be possible to select
>> several contiguous cells  by shift clicking and then paste them into
>> another notebook. You would then get several cells of the same type as
>> you copied. However now (at least on Mac OS X) this seems impossible.
>> What happens is that if you select a several cells or a cell group and
>>  past into another notebook you get a messy expression contained in a
>> single cell from which it does not appear possible to easily recover
>> the original cells. I have tired using various Copy As but have not
>> found anything that works. The only thing that works is copying and
>> pasting individual cells, which is of course very time consuming.
>> Is this also what happens on other platforms? I am sure it was not the
>> case in earlier versions, and if so was this an intentional change? It
>> so it seems to me as bad an idea as I have come across in many years.
>> Can anyone explain?
>>
>> Andrzej Kozlowski

----
Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends.
----
Alfredo Octavio,Patilla.com
PGP Key ID: 0x6531FC6D
mailto: alfredo at octavio.net