TeXToMma

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38183] TeXToMma
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 03:26:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings MathGroupers,

I recently set about writing, for my own amusement, a package that would
convert simple TeX strings to Mathematica expressions. It turned out
that I was able to do much more than I initially imagined. For example,
each of the following are correctly interpreted:

"\matrix{ 2 & -1& 0 & \cdots & 0\\cr
    -1 & 2 & -1 &~ & 0\cr
    ~&\ddots&\ddots &\ddots &~\cr
    0 &~& -1 & 2 & -1 \cr
    0 & \cdots & 0 & -1 & 2 \cr}"

"\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4a c}}{2a}"

"\int_0^\pi\sin^3\theta d\theta"

If you're interested, you can download the package and a demo
notebook here: http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis/TeX2Mma.zip.
All (positive) comments will be appreciated. :^)

---
Selwyn Hollis