reply to "The Answer , In My Opinion..... ;-D"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38212] reply to "The Answer , In My Opinion..... ;-D"
  • From: manion at storyhoc.com (manion)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 03:31:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

while it is true that for the equation y*0=0 y= all numbers, for the
equation y=0/0, y is undefined.  there are certain rules for our math
system, and one of them is that you can't simply change the original
equation to get different answers.  when you rearrange the equation in
the way you did, you are basically throwing out the fact that a number
was divided by zero in the first place.  the truth of the matter is,
if the equation is given to you as y=0/0, it is undefined and if it is
given as y*0=0, it is all numbers.  it is the way the equation is
presented in the beginning that makes all the difference.