FITS Format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38273] FITS Format
  • From: "Pigeon, Robert" <Robert.Pigeon at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:17:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Good day,
	I have a question about the utilization of FITS format.  I have
Mathematica 4.2 for Students and I'm trying to display and analyze those
images.  Since 4.2 is suppose to have added the FITS format to the list of
recognized formats how come I cannot use the standard functions to view and
manipulate them?
	I use
		image=Import["m22.fits"];
	Then
		Show[image]
It does not display anything!
I bought the add-on Digital Image Processing (1.1) and again I cannot use
any of the functions in that package.

In a nut shell: I thought that FITS format could be used the same way a JPEG
format or any image (pic) format is used (displayed,manipulated,analyzed).

Am I doing something wrong or maybe I did not understand something about
this new feature in Mathematica 4.2?

Robert Pigeon