Problem finding partial fractions for a contstant improper fraction?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38328] Problem finding partial fractions for a contstant improper fraction?
  • From: "Steven Hodgen" <steven at twitch.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:35:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

One of the things I'm having some trouble with in my math class is
determining the partial fraction for a simple constant fraction like this:

-5Pi
-----
 12

One possibility is:

-Pi     Pi
---  - ---
  6       4

I'm having difficulty intuiting how to do this, and I wind up doing tons of
trial and error, which sometimes takes too long.  Besides some advice on the
right way to do this, I'd also like to know how to achieve this in
Mathematica.  If it weren't for the Mathematica part, I'd have put this in
alt.math.moderated.

Thanks

--
Steven Hodgen