Strange Output Involving Times, Power

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38390] Strange Output Involving Times, Power
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:10:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Isn't it strange that we get the following.

In[1]:=  12*20^n

Out[1]=  3*4^(1 + n)*5^n

----------
One would think it would go the other way.  ie.
Evaluating  ( 3*4^(1+n)5^n  )  would return  ( 12*20^n ).

I have been told it has to be implemented this way to make some other things
work as expected.  Ok, so what would be broken if it worked the way I expect
and would prefer?

Regards,
  Ted Ersek

Download my collection of Mathematica tricks from:
http://www.verbeia.com/mathematica/tips/Tricks.html
and
http://www.verbeia.com/mathematica/tips/GraphicsTricks.html