using strings to create variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38448] using strings to create variables
  • From: pdickof at sk.sympatico.ca (Peter Dickof)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:20:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a text file with a first line containing words giving the names
of the data in the column below. Subsequent lines contain the data:
x	y	z
1	2	3
2	4	6
3	6	9

I want a function that will read this file and and create lists
x={1,2,3}
y={2,4,6}
z={3,6,9}

I do not understand how to take the strings "x", "y", and "z" that I
read from the first line and create lists with those names to which I
can assign the values.

Peter