RE: portable issues with zip files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38487] RE: portable issues with zip files
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:24:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[ I (Ted Ersek) wrote ]
> David Park (djmp at earthlink.net) has Mathematica packages posted as zip
> files at http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/Mathematica.html and he
> recommends that I use the same approach for packages I post on
> mathsource.  I have been able to download and install his packages on my
> PC without problem. However can Mac and Unix users handle the zip files?
> If they can't, can I create the compressed files Mac and Unix users need
> using my PC?

[ P.J. Hinton replied ]
There is a suite of command line tools for creating and unpacking PK-ZIP
format archives under Unix, but they are not always installed on Unix
systems.  Unix users typically expect archives to be provided in tape
archive (TAR)  format with some form of compression applied thereafter.
The two most common are compress (<filename base>.tar.Z) and GNU ZIP
(<filename base>.tar.gz).  The compress format is more likely to be found
on commercial Unix systems, and GNU ZIP is more common on Linux systems,
but many hosts will have both tools available.

Most Macintosh systems will have the freeware tools StuffIt Expander,
which is capable of unpacking a wide variety of formats, including PK-ZIP,
but they usually expect their files to be provided using StuffIt's own
proprietary format with BinHex encoding (<filename base>.sit.hqx) to
protect the file's resource fork.  To create the StuffIt files, you need
to get the shareware product DropStuff.

---------------
Next I (Ted Ersek) ask:
Most of the time my files are less than 100 Kb, so I don't have much need
for compression. I think David Park recommends zip files not so much for the
compression, but because it allows him to make the process of installing his
packages easier. So to give the best support for all platforms what formats
should I provide? perhaps;

<filename>.zip
<filename>.sit.hqx
<filename>.tar.Z

or should I also include  <filename>.tar.gz  for the convienience of the
Linux users?  How can I make  <filename>.tar.Z  and  <filename>.tar.gz  with
my PC?

I always thought if I post notebooks and packages without compression as
<filename>.nb  and  <filename>.m  they are completely portable.  Is this
true?

Thanks,
  Ted Ersek