Re: Problem rendering Mathematica fonts in eps and pdf files.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38486] Re: Problem rendering Mathematica fonts in eps and pdf files.
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:24:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

can you send me the files direct ?

Ron wrote:

> I have a graphic produced in Mathematica which I would like to call from a
> Latex document to be ultimately viewed as a ps and/or pdf file. The
> final file produced however, does not render the Mathematica fonts
> satisfactorily if at all.
>
> First I generate the files graphic.eps and graphics.pdf using the
> Export command.

Don't use the pdf-export, it make no crop box and you graphics fill the
whole page ..

> The following (separate) attempts all have no effect in rendering the
> Mathematica fonts when trying to view the files graphic.eps or graphic.pdf.
>
> 1. Instruct the ps viewer (GSVIEW32 Version 3.6) to see the Mathematica fonts
> by adding to the "ghostscript include path" the directory C:\Program
> Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\4.2\SystemFiles\Fonts\Type1

The gsview version does not matter because it only call ghostscript
to do the work ...

> 2. Append directives (supplied by P.J. Hinton) to the file Fontmap (
> C:\Program Files\ghostscript\gs6.50\lib) to enable Mathematica fonts to be
> seen as suggested by Mathematica support at
> http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/graphics/export/ghostscript.html

That's a fairly old ghostscript -- AFAIK 7.04 is current ..

> 3. Copy the Mathematica fonts (C:\Program Files\Wolfram
> Research\Mathematica\4.2\SystemFiles\Fonts\Type1) into C:\Program
> Files\ghostscript\fonts to enable them to be seen.
>
> I have also tried selecting the graphic and then printing to the file
> graphic.eps. This *does* seems to embed the fonts in resulting
> graphic.eps.I can then use the ps viewer to convert this file
> graphic.eps into graphic.pdf. The graphic.eps file turns out fine but
> the graphic.pdf file when viewed generates an error ("The font
> 'YWFNOL+TT9Co00' contains a bad /BBox") and also the Mathematica fonts are
> rendered but with a markedly lighter font weight ?

Fonts are *not* a part of en EPS file. Fonts should be never in  EPS
file.

> Furthemore when I call these files in a latex document using
> \includegraphics[scale=0.85]{graphic.eps}
> ( \includegraphics[scale=0.85]{graphic.pdf} )
>
> the graphic does not appear at all in the resulting ps (pdf) file ?

Too large for your page ?

> They *do* appear however,if they were generated using the Export
> command although as mentioned previously in this case the fonts are
> all stuffed up !?
>
> I have wasted some time trying to do what I imagine should be a simple
> and routine task - Is there something obvious I am missing here ?

If you TeX system is correct configured it *is* a simple routine task
and I would realy know what you are doing wrong.

Regards
  Jens