RE: Nonparametric kernel density estimators

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38527] RE: Nonparametric kernel density estimators
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:41:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/20/02 at 4:20 PM, drbob at bigfoot.com (DrBob) wrote:

>Yes, we can do it ourselves, but MathStatica isn't of much help in the
>process, and it can't be loaded after other packages, so the net
>benefit may be negative.  As for Bandwidth, how does it decide what is
>optimal?

The documentation specifies Bandwidth uses either the Siverman (1986) method (default) or the Sheather-Jones (1991) method. I assume details of these can be found in an appropriate text.

>Can't I do that in Mathematica, too?

Clearly you can since MathStatica is simply a Mathematica package. It would only be a matter of researching the methods and writting the corresponding Mathematica code.

>When I try to use MathStatica, I first have to eliminate everything in
>my Init.m file (and change it back again later), which is a pain.

This should not be necessary.  For example, my init file loads Graphics`Graphics` and Utilites`CleanSlate` at startup. MathStatica loads just fine after this. Nor does MathStatica oject to being loaded after some packages in a session. MathStatic does object if assignments have been before it is loaded, i.e.,

In[1]:=
<<EnhancedDataManipulation`;

In[2]:=
<<MathStatica`;

generates no errors but

In[1]:=
<<EnhancedDataManipulation`;

In[2]:=
m=2;

In[3]:=
<<mathstatica`;

reults in MathStatica complaining about not being loaded from a brand new fresh kernel

>Once I get into it and start dealing with the quirky interface, the
>unnecessary splash screen and web-site palette, etc. --- it just never
>seems worthwhile.

I agree the splash screen is unnecessary as well as the header MathStatica inserts into the notebook. I also find it annoying to not be able to load MathStatica whenever I like. But it isn't quite as bad as you suggest here. Ultimately, whether you consider MathStatica worthwhile or not will depend on your needs and tolerance to the way MathStatica operates,