easy(?) question on manipulating expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38572] easy(?) question on manipulating expressions
  • From: Diligent Sp*m Avoider <noplace at nowhere.no>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 02:15:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Let's say I have an equation a = (1+x) Sin[1+x], and I would like to set
a new variable b = (1+x). What do I have to tell Mathematica so that it
represents the first equation as a = b Sin[b]?

Keep in mind that equation a may not be arrayed so simply; it might be
in the form Sin[1+x] + xSin[1+x] or worse; Mathematica will have to
search for ways to do the replacement with b.

I've been browsing through The Mathematica Book, but I can't find any
discussion of this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

-Michael Stern