Notebook manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32824] Notebook manipulation
  • From: Roger Mason <rmason at>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:43:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Firstly, thanks to Paul Hinton of WRI for his help with my last

Secondly, I have been attempting to use the notebook manipulation
functions to get some output written into a notebook that is created by
the kernel. The idea is then to save or print the new notebook. By
following section 2.10.3 of the on-line help, I have been able to write
data into the new notebook and perform evaluation on the data. However,
on saving or printing the new notebook the output cells are never

Clearly, I am missing something. What am I doing wrong? Some code is

Roger Mason.
Mathematica 4.0, Linux RH7.0.

nb = NotebookCreate[];
(*nb = SelectedNotebook[];*)
NotebookWrite[nb, "10!", All];
SelectionEvaluateCreateCell[nb, All];
NotebookApply[nb, "\[SelectionPlaceholder]/2", All ];
SelectionEvaluateCreateCell[nb, Before];
NotebookSave[nb, "notebook.nb"];
(*NotebookPrint[nb, "/home/rmason/",
      PrintingStyleEnvironment -> "Printout"];*)