Re: Numerical Differentiation using Fourier Transform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32948] Re: Numerical Differentiation using Fourier Transform
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 02:07:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

you really know that you dont mix up continuous and discrete
Fourier transforms ? For a discrete to discrete Fourier transform
you have sampled the values of  the 2Pi periodic function f with
N points x[k]=2Pi*k, k=0,1,..,N-1 and f[k]=f[x[k]] and with the
DFT you calculate a[j] with

f[k]=Sum[a[j]*Exp[2Pi*I*j*k/N],{j,0,N-1}]/N

Can yo tell me what you mean with the continuous derivative ?
of the discrete f[k] ? This ist simply not defined because k can
have only discrete values.

You can use a discrete approximation to a derivative (f[i+1]-f[i-1])/2
and interprete this as a convolution

test = Table[Sin[2Pi*x/20], {x, 0, 20, 20/511}];;

fkernel = Fourier[
           RotateLeft[
             Drop[Table[
               If[Abs[i] <= 1, -i, 0]/2, {i, -Length[test]/2,
Length[test]/2}],
               -1],
             Length[test]/2]
          ];

dfftest = InverseFourier[Chop[fkernel*Fourier[test]]];

But is is up to you, to use a higher order approximation of the
first derivative (f[i-2] - 8*f[i-1] + 8*f[i+1] - f[i+2])/12

Regards
  Jens