Sound and CDs query. Probably an FAQ but I could not find it.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33032] Sound and CDs query. Probably an FAQ but I could not find it.
  • From: "DIAMOND Mark R." <dot at dot.dot>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:35:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As the header says, probably an FAQ but one I could not find...

Can anyone advise me on getting a series of sounds produced in Mathematica into an
appropriate format for a sequence of tracks on audio CD.

Assume at this stage that I have a large string of Reals which play, just as
I would like, with ListPlay. What are the steps to getting this onto CD?
What sound format (SND, WAV or AU) for a CD? Do I simply specify
Export["file.au", myNoise,"AU"] or is something more sophisticated needed?
And am I correct in thinking that the Reals are redundant (I have
Fourier-produced 1/f noise) and that I can scale them to 8-bit or 16-bit
integers and manipulate SampleRate etc?

I would appreciated any advice

Cheers,

--
Mark R. Diamond
Send email to  server called psy dot uwa dot edu dot au and address to markd