Fractional derivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32185] Fractional derivative
  • From: "Sridhar Ramanujam" <ramanuja at usc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 05:04:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathgroup members,
    I was trying to find the inverse fourier transform of (2 I Pi f)^0.5 and I tried it with mathematica and I got the following result:
(-0.886227+(0.886227)sign(t))/(t^2)^0.75.

Obviously, this is a one-sided function of t. My problem is that if I multiply the fourier transform by itself, one should get a function which is (2 I Pi f) - which is satisfied in the frequency domain but not in the time domain. I don't see one-sided infinite support functions convolving to give the derivative of the dirac delta function.

If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them on....

Thanks,

Sridhar.