Wrestling with Mathematica on Trig Simplification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32212] Wrestling with Mathematica on Trig Simplification
  • From: warwick at jps.net (Steven Warwick)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 03:38:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

So, A typical scenario for me is the combining of sinusoids like:

m[t_]  = A Sin[t] + B Cos[t]

( A and B Real, although I don't know how to communicate this to Mathematica
in an effective way)

with the desired "simplified" output being of the form:

C  Cos[t+th]

Trigreduce will not do this, as I've tried. Yes, C and th are more
algebraically complicated, but the overall expression is actually more
meaningful for me..

I can solve for C and th using Solve, with creating 2 simultaneous
equations with t picked at 0, PI/2 to get the correct form, but that's
not the same as having a "reduce" capability.   Am I missing
something? is there a way to create preference for this form in
simplify?

Thanks!