Re: finding independent variable groups

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32498] Re: finding independent variable groups
  • From: romoscanu at (Ioan Alexandre Romoscanu)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 01:00:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear David and Allan

Mena thanks for your help. They really improve my Mathematica skills.

However, I was lookign fro smth slightly different, perhaps more
ambitious, although Mathematica can do more complicated things as far
as formula manipulation is concerned.

The formulae I need to manipulate are more complicated, and the goel
is to identify recurrect groups. According to Buckingham's Pi theorem,
a physical value per definition depends on a finite number of
non-dimensional parameters (see this nice page about this:

I have a large formula describing a complex material property. It is
really large (well, under 1 page, so to speak), so looking for the
combined non-dimensional group is tedious, if not impossible. I wonder
if this is doable with Mathematica.

In other words, I would like Mathematica to find the (x/y) group in
the example. Simplify does not work, but since I need only a partial
simplification, I wonder if this is not still doable.

Thanks again

To: mathgroup at