Re: Change of Variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32521] Re: [mg32509] Change of Variables
  • From: Mianlai Zhou <lailai at nikhef.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:57:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, John S wrote:

> An even simpler example is the following:
>
> test=v/c
> Replace[test^2,v/c -> beta]
>
> does not yield beta^2, but rather v^2/c^2.

I guess you should investigate more into the internal structure of
Mathematica. It is not so straight-forward as it is often assumed to be -
like the mathematical formulae. In fact, if you replace the test^2 in your
example to test, it will give beta. But since test^2 gives v^2/c^2, of
which the full form is:

In[1]:= FullForm[v^2/c^2]
Out[1]:= Times[Power[c, -2], Power[v, 2]]

While the full form of v/c is

Out[2]:= Times[Power[c, -1], v]

Apparently they do not match each other. I mean, there is no sub-structure
of v/c in the expression v^2/c^2. Therefore, your replacement could not be
done. If you really want to do this replacement, you should change the
replacement rule to something like v -> c*beta.

However, in your original problem, there IS such sub-structure of
h*c/(lambda*k*T) in the expression. What you have to do is only, to
replace the Replace[] to ReplaceAll[], because ReplaceAll is to transform
each subpart of the expression, while Replace is only an attempt to
transform the entire expression.

Good luck!

Mianlai Zhou
Theory Group, NIKHEF