Re: Absolute Value of Complex Numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg35212] Re: Absolute Value of Complex Numbers
- From: bghiggins at ucdavis.edu (Brian Higgins)
- Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 02:12:28 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Kyle , Use ComplexExpand Mathematica assumes the the variable "k" is complex. In:=ComplexExpand[Abs[2 Exp[k*I]]] Out=2 Cheers, Brian "Kyle Davis" <kyledavis at nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<afp0oh$h08$1 at smc.vnet.net>... > Abs[2 Exp[3 * i]] > answer = 2 > > Abs[2 Exp[k * i]] > answer = 2 Exp[-Im[k]] > > Isn't the second answer supposed to be the same with the first one, > regardless with the value of k? How do I make the second calculation give me > the right answer?