Re: Absolute Value of Complex Numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35210] Re: [mg35196] Absolute Value of Complex Numbers
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 02:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica is very conservative concerning properties of unknown objects.
Your k is a symbol about which nothing is known. Many of us would presume it
is an integer, but this has to be explicitly assumed. Then, for example,
using Assumptions in Simplify gives you the answer you were expecting:

 In[1]:=
Simplify[Abs[2*Exp[k*I]], k \[Element] Integers]
Out[1]=
2

Tomas Garza
Mexico City