RE: Corrupted Files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35287] RE: Corrupted Files
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 05:44:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As I'm editing the file, I get a Beep and a message saying, "There
appears to be an error in the file named below.  You should close it
without saving, then use the Open Special command to open it using the
Ignore File Outline Cache option.  File name: ..."

When I follow those instructions, I get the an error message (at Open
Special) saying "There was a syntax error in the file being read.  This
indicates that the file has become corrupted, or was generated
incorrectly.  If you click OK, the file will be opened as a plain text
file, with the position of the syntax error selected.  If you are able
to fix the error, save the file and open it again."

The file format isn't documented, so there's no hope of fixing the
error.  I've seen the file format enough times to have a clue or two,
but that's it.  Anyway, I've never successfully rescued a file from
this.

I used to have this problem once every week or so in version 4.0 --
never in 4.1 except once when opening a file from 4.0 days that may have
been corrupted then.  I've had this problem twice, maybe three times
today already.

Bobby Treat