Re: RE: Corrupted Files & Version 4.2 Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35292] Re: [mg35263] RE: Corrupted Files & Version 4.2 Problems
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 05:45:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You can not only run a different kernel but in fact two kernels at the
same time, though I am not quite sure  if the usual license  allows
that. You do it as follows (I am describing how it works under MacOS X,
but it ought to be the same for other OS's).  Choose "Kernel
Configuration Options" from the Kernel menu. Click on the Add button.
Name your new kernel. Make sure that Launch On Local machine is chosen
(it is the default). Click on the Advanced Options tab. In the field
"Arguments to MLOpen" insert the proper path to your new kernel. Now if
you go again to the Kernel menu you will find that under Start Kernel,
and Notebook Kernel items you have two kernels. Create a new notebook.
 From the Notebook Kernel menu choose the new kernel. If you did not make
a mistake in inserting the full path to the kernel in "Arguments to
MLOpen" all computation in this notebook will be performed by the new
kernel while those in other notebooks by the default kernel. Of course
you need enough RAM for this to work. Other than that, you can just
quite the default kernel first.

I have never really found out whether the owners of single licenses are
licensed to run their own old kernels together with new ones. It is
actually a very reasonable thing to do when new kernels (or new
FrontEnds) contain bugs not present in previous versions.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/