Re: Exporting \[Micro] character tp EPS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35443] Re: [mg35408] Exporting \[Micro] character tp EPS
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 05:24:16 -0400 (EDT), Vince Boros wrote:
>When exporting graphs to EPS, I find that the Micro character (upright
>Mu, used as an abbreviation for the "micro" in "micrometre") isn't
>displayed.  I'm loathe to replace \[Micro] in my graph labels with
>\[Mu], because I want to be consistent and reserve italicized symbols
>for math variables.
>
>Does anyone know which Mathematica font package contains the Micro
>character, or some other way I can export \[Micro] to EPS?
>
>Regards,
>
>Vince

I'm assuming here that you're using 4.1 or 4.2 under Windows (if not, what
I'm about to tell you won't work).  Open the following file in a text
editor:

$TopDirectory\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\PostScriptHeader.tr

where $TopDirectory is your Mathematica installation directory.  Use your
editor's find command to search for the following text:

/acute/.notdef

Replace this with

/acute/mu

There will only be one instance of this to replace.  Now restart
Mathematica and re-create your EPS graphics.  Everything should work
perfectly.  If you experience any problems restarting Mathematica after
making this change, hold down Control+Shift while restarting.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group