Re: = versus := and trying to speed up calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35439] Re: = versus := and trying to speed up calculations
  • From: Ignacio Rodriguez <ignacio at sgirmn.pluri.ucm.es>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:29:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The main difference between Set (=) and SetDelayed (:=) has to do with
evaluation of its rhs. A good way to see the difference is with the
Random[] function. Type

a=Random[]

and evaluate a several times (this is, type a and Ctrl+Return several
times).

Now type

a:=Random[]

and do the same. See the difference?

In your case, I do not think that using Set or SetDelayed is important,
as the rhs of your expressions do not seem to me to need evaluation.
However, you can try the following:

Bracket[a_.*e[i_],b_.*e[j_]]:=(Bracket[a*e[i],b*e[j]]=Which[...]);

By doing so, you will construct a table of values for the Bracket
function for definite values of its arguments. This can be seen using
DownValues[Bracket]. Mathematica will give precedence to the more
specific definitions. So you will not need to evaluate the same bracket
several times. However, you will need more memory to store those results.

As a last comment, I think your main definition for Bracket needs
parentheses in the i-j case, so that it is bilinear.