Re: mathematicalink for excel xp

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35480] Re: [mg35465] mathematicalink for excel xp
  • From: "Jonathan Rockmann" <MTheory at msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 04:49:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Erich,

I experienced the exact same thing using Windows 2000 with Office XP and
Mathematica 4.0.  Let me guess, you call the kernel somehow within Excel
and you are first prompted to enable the macros, right?  Well that much is
normal.  So you select enable macros and if I recall correctly the next
thing that happens is you get another prompt saying "Using this command.
..yada, yada ...Do you want to connect to the kernel now?".  You select yes
again and that is when I believe you get the error message that you reported.
Well stop reinstalling the patch, it works fine.  I tried everything that
technical support could offer to no avail, was stuck having to
figure it out myself and eventually was so tired of the whole "linking Excel
to Mathematica" thing that I that I opted for the solution of last resort:
I reinstalled Excel 2002 (or XP) without any non-Excel add-Ins, and
then reinstalled the patch again and it worked fine!

Why does it work now?  It is probably because there was a conflict with one
of the Excel add-In programs I had been using (written by a third person),
however I had tried getting rid of all of these non-Excel add-Ins prior to
reinstalling Excel and that didn't take care of the problem.  I never used
these other add-Ins again so I can't tell you if they would corrupt the link
again if I had used them after I had achieved a successful link to Mathematica.
But there is also however the possibility that it had nothing to do with
these add-Ins and that there are just lots of problems with the link itself
but I don't have the time to pursue the details of every problem that I
experience while trying to use Mathematica and Excel together.

I also encourage you to thoroughly read the manual.  But in the end, I have
found that the link is not a clean connection and if you prefer Mathematica's
computational engine and language to Excel's, you might end up like me
wishing there was some other way to get a spreadsheet into Mathematica.
Well there is a third-party vendor who is working on that problem right now
- his name is Jason Tiggs, the product is called Smartspread and
 the web address is www.smartspread.com.

Salutations,

Jonathan Rockmann
mtheory at msn.com