Re: Expanding expressions with Dot, Times and Plus

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35540] Re: [mg35501] Expanding expressions with Dot, Times and Plus
  • From: Rolf Mertig <rolf at mertig.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:06:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
it is not hard to program such a function. Several packages exist.
One possibility is to use my old DotSimplify function from the OpenSource
FeynCalc Mathematica Application package.
See http://www.feyncalc.org/DotSimplify

I always wondered why such and other rather trivial to implement functionality
has never been added to the Mathematica kernel. Maybe WRI is too busy
with other important projects.

In[1]:= <<HighEnergyPhysics`fc`

In[2]:= FI;   DeclareNonCommutative[ex];

In[3]:= DotSimplify[ -ex[0,1].(ex[0,1].ex[1,2]-ex[1,2].ex[0,1]) ]

Out[3]= -ex[0, 1]^2 . ex[1, 2] + ex[0, 1] . ex[1, 2] . ex[0, 1]

In[4]:= ?DotSimplify
DotSimplify[expr] expands and reorders noncommutative terms in expr.
   Simplifying relations may be specified by the option DotSimplifyRelations
   or by Commutator and AntiCommutator definitions. Whether expr is expanded
   noncommutatively depends on the option Expanding.

In[5]:= Options@DotSimplify

Out[5]= {Expanding -> True, DotSimplifyRelations -> {}, DotPower -> True}

Greetings,

Rolf Mertig
Mertig Consulting, http://www.mertig.com
Efficient Software, Training, Programming, Consulting