Re: Recent Mathgroup Postings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35585] Re: Recent Mathgroup Postings
  • From: Technical Support <support at southpark.wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 03:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello:

There have been a several postings to Mathgroup recently concerning
calculus problems in Mathematica V4.2 which have been based on development
versions of Mathematica. Wolfram Research creates development versions of
our software in order to test different areas of functionality and new
implementations. Sending reports to Mathgroup based on these test versions
is very confusing since readers may believe they refer to the official
released versions. In addition, it seems more useful for reports to be
based on versions of Mathematica that are accessible to readers of
Mathgroup.

Specifically, the posting of July 5 entitled, 'Yet Another Integrate
Howler' refers to a development version. The released version of
Mathematica V4.2 returns a correct result for this problem. In addition
the posting of July 1 entitled, 'Yet another bug in LaplaceTransform',
refers to a problem that we cannot reproduce. We believe that this also
comes from a test version.

We have an active mechanism for tracking and collecting problems in
test versions, and we strongly urge participants in our test programs
to make use of these procedures.

As ever, we are very interested in reports of problems in shipping
versions of Mathematica. We cannot guarantee to resolve all of them
immediately, but we can guarantee to take them very seriously.

Sincerely,

Eric Bynum
Technical Support Manager
Wolfram Research, Inc.