Re: Memory leak? Self-created non-executable Help notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35629] Re: [mg35608] Memory leak? Self-created non-executable Help notebook?
  • From: Garry Helzer <gah at math.umd.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:51:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is a comment on, rather than a solution to, your problem. I had
similar problems under OS9.1 whenever I was grading a series of student
notebooks and pasting in comments from a fixed notebook of standard
comments. The problem went away when I switched to OS X and Mathematica
4.1.5 ( the .5 flags the OS X version). Version 4.1.5 seems much stabler.

However there was a frustrating intermediate period where I upgraded to
OS 9.2 to run Mathematica in the classic environment under OS X.
Mathematica  lost track of its password file (or whatever it uses) and
asked for the number every time the front end started. The kernel would
not start at all. Several  hours on the phone to wri support did not
help. Reinstalling under OS 9.2 did not help. Finally I hit upon
reverting to OS 9.1, reinstalling, and the reverting to 9.2 (You can
have as many different Mac operating systems on your disk as you
like-contrary to popular belief). However, this fix would last only
about a week and then I would have to redo it.

In short, I had to upgrade both Mathematica and the OS to fix the
problem.

On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 02:11  AM, AES wrote:

>  mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Garry Helzer
Department of Mathematics
University of Maryland