RE: RE: Re: Q: Simplify with "muchless"assumptions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35682] RE: [mg35657] RE: [mg35622] Re: [mg35600] Q: Simplify with "muchless"assumptions
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:46:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

OK, if "x is much less than y" means x/y->0, then let r be that ratio
and the original function transforms into

F[x , y, w, z]==F[r y, y, w, z]

If r->0 in this expression, that's

Limit[F[r y, y, w, z], r->0]

If x=0 is a non-removable singularity of F, the Limit as r->0 will
depend on y (if it exists).

If F is continuous at x=0 it's just F[0, y, w, z].

If F has a removable singularity there, it's Limit[F[x, y, w, z], x->0].

Bobby