Error messages everytime I load the kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34798] Error messages everytime I load the kernel
  • From: "Jonathan Rockmann" <MTheory at msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 01:09:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi David,

I hope all is well with you.

I noticed that you posted a great question to MG that Jens answered.  Part
of Jens' response was:

"But you can simply
load the help notebook into a Mathematica 4.0 and save
it. The main consequence of the "feature" is that one has
to use the oldest Mathematica version (best Mathematica 3.0) to
edit/save Help notebooks."

I took this to mean simply open up the notebook created by a newer version
 and then save it in your older version of Mathematica.
I've done this a few times to several notebooks that were announcing that
 they had been created by a newer version of Mathematica.  It worked !  But
 I have a problem with some additional warning messages that I get every
 time I load the kernel.  They appear in a little box on the bottom left
 of the screen and read:
On::none: Message General::spell not found.
On::none: Message General::spell1 not found.
DeclarePackage::aldec:
Symbol WriteDXF in DeclarePackage[Utilities`DXF`, {PolygonsOnly, WriteDXF}]
has already been declared.

Now, I have installed a few applications/packages on top of Mathematica like
 DrawGraphics, TensorCalculus, MathGL3D, MathPNG, some of which add things to the help browser, and some of which were written on Mathematica 4 .1
 (I have version 4 on Windows 2000).  Also, I have found in the Autoload/Utilities
 folder a file called DXF.m which appears to be referenced in
the warning messages but I don't want to simply remove it as a solution.
 I would much rather try and understand what the conflict is.  Do you have any
 thoughts as to what might be causing the above error messages and how I
 could prevent them from occuring?

Keep up the great postings!

Jonathan
mtheory at msn.com