Re: Friendly Challenge 2: sort by column

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35020] Re: [mg35005] Friendly Challenge 2: sort by column
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at bekkoame.ne.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 02:13:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Like last time I will make just a single attempt.

In[1]:=
f[a_,k_]:=a[[Ordering[Transpose[a][[k]]]]]

In[2]:=
a = {{77,27,57,53},
      {72,21,40,27},
      {96,76,87,27},
      {61,97,93,71},
      {43,80,21,87}};

In[3]:=
f[a,3]

Out[3]=
{{43,80,21,87},{72,21,40,27},{77,27,57,53},{96,76,87,27},{61,97,93,71}}

I think this ought to be pretty fast, but I shan't give any explanations
preferring to leave this task in the safe hands of Hartmut ;)

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/