Looking for a program that transforms Mathematica to Matlab expressions!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35162] Looking for a program that transforms Mathematica to Matlab expressions!!!
  • From: Konstantinos Economou <mc96080 at mail.ntua.gr>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:23:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everybody!

I am currently working on Mathematica for my thesis in Mechanical Eng. Dept.
of National Technical University of Athens (NTUA). I want to transform the
symbolic expression of a particular 6x37 matrix to Matlab in order to perform
some tests there for the rank. I have located on the web a mathematica
package named "ToMatlab.m". The latter is supposed to transform a Mathematica
expression to Matlab form and is created by Harri Ojanen
(http://www.iki.fi/~harri.ojanen). Although the package seems to work alright
with simple matrices, it goes crazy with symbolic matrices and large
numerical matrices. What I am saying is that when I use the package
ToMatlab.m (and more precisly the function ToMatlab[]) on my 6x37 symbolic
matrix, the program finds a different number of columns for every row
(probably the full symbolic expression of my matrix is far too complicated
for it). So the translated form of the matrix, when input to a Matlab M-file
returns a message that says that this is not a matrix (since we have a group
of rows with different number of columns). Now I am not sure whether the
package works even with simpler inputs-Mathematica expressions.

My question is this: has anybody ever used this package or probably knows any
other similar one doing this job (converting Mathematica to Matlab)? Is there
any other way to get from Mathematica to Matlab (for example via C) and are
there any packages-programs-toolboxes created for this purpose? At the moment
I am pretty stuck and can't go on with my work, so I would appreciate any
suggestions.

I thank you in advance. Because from time to time I can't read all the posts
in the newsgroup (due to server problems) please reply to my private e-mail
address as well:
             mc96080 at mail.ntua.gr

Konstantinos Economou.