Intersections of Contours in 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34122] Intersections of Contours in 3D
  • From: "Bram Platel" <b.platel at stud.tue.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 04:29:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

What I would like to find is the intersections of Surfaces of Contours in
3D. (This for two diffent ContourPlot3D's, not in one ContourPlot).

(For example in short->
a=ListContourPlot3D[data3d1,Contours->{0}]
b=ListContourPlot3D[data3d2,Contours->{0}]
then I would like to find intersections where a=b)

I've read the article  "Intersections of Surfaces" of Steven Wilkinson, but
in that article it is assumed that the equation of the surface is known (he
uses a sort of solve to find the intersections).

But for Contours found by ListContourPlot3D the equations of the surfaces
are not known.

Does anyone have an idea on how to find these intersections?
Maybe look at the Polygons in the ContourPlot?

All suggestions are welcome