Re: Hyperlink Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34109] Re: [mg34022] Hyperlink Question
  • From: Omega Consulting <omega_consulting at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 04:28:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 02:28 AM 4/26/2002, Poppo wrote:
>I know how to link to another Mathematica file or a URL.
>I would like to have a hyperlink in Mathematica that opens a file in
>another application on my PC. I do not want to run another application
>to get results. I want to do the equivalent to double clicking on a
>file in Windows Explorer.
>Any suggestions?

It depends on the operating system, but on Windows it can be done by
creating a URL hyperlink to the file. For example,

Cell[TextData[ButtonBox["test",
   ButtonData:>{URL["C:\\Windows\\Desktop\\file.txt"], None},
   ButtonStyle->"Hyperlink"]], "Text"]

I believe in some older versions of Mathematica this launches the web
browser and then the browser launches the application. In recent versions,
the default application is launched directly. It may also help to start the
URL with "file://".

Omega Consulting
"The final answer to your Mathematica needs"

Spend less time searching and more time finding.
http://www.wz.com/internet/Mathematica.html