RE: Real valued parameters/variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34104] RE: [mg34082] Real valued parameters/variables
  • From: "Florian Jaccard" <jaccardf at eicn.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 04:28:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

One way is to load the package Miscellaneous`RealOnly`
If you load it, you can for example plot y = x^(1/3) even for x<0, wich
would not be as comfortable elsewere.
If you solve an equation, the complex solutions are encountered.
For example :
In[2]:=
<<Miscellaneous`RealOnly`

In[3]:=
Solve[x^3==-1,x]

>From In[3]:=
Nonreal::warning: Nonreal number encountered.

Out[3]=
{{x -> -1},{x -> Nonreal},{x -> Nonreal}}

The problem is that it is not very practical if complex and real variables
have to live in the same notebook.

Some weeks ago, somebody presented the swichable realonly package :
http://www.mathsource.com/Content/Enhancements/MathFunctions/0211-396

It can help avoid the problem related.

If you prefere not to load the package but want to delete the complex
solutions from a list of solutions, you can use for example a fonction like
the following:

In[1]:=
realSolutions[règles_]:=DeleteCases[x/.règles,a_/;Im[a]!= 0]

In[2]:=
realSolutions[Solve[x^3==-1,x]]

Out[2]=
{-1}

To tell Mathematica that something is real, you can proceed like this :

If a parameter, lets say a, has to be real positive, you can use :

Simplify[... , a>0]

For example :

In[6]:=
Simplify[Integrate[Sqrt[(a^2 - x^2)],{x,-a,a}],a > 0]

Out[6]=
a^2*Pi/2

Or, if a has to be real :

In[9]:=
Simplify[Integrate[1/(x^a),{x,1,Infinity}],Element[a,Reals]]

My response is not complete, but I hope it can already help a bit...

Meilleures salutations

Florian Jaccard
EICN-HES