Physical memory leak in Mathematica ?!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34177] Physical memory leak in Mathematica ?!
  • From: heimann at ism.tu-berlin.de (Justus Heimann)
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 01:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm running Mathematica 4.0 Windows under Windows 2000 Pro.

I got a question concerning the memory handling of/in Mathematica.

Within an engineering optimization I have to deal with very big
numerical matrices simultaneously in a Mathematica session. In order
to not overflow the physical memory (1.5 GB!) I arranged to save and
reload some of these matrices from and to disk during execution.

For fast I/O of the matrices I use "binary.exe" by John Fultz,
fultz at wolfram.com, http://www.mathsource.com/MathSource/Enhancements/MathLink/0206-783/