Re: How to put parameter list in or near a graph?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34239] Re: [mg34221] How to put parameter list in or near a graph?
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 04:04:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In a message dated 5/10/02 3:56:53 AM, rob at piovere.com writes:

>Very often I make a plot which shows the essence of my results but then,
>to present it, I print the plot and then I have to hand write all the
parameters
>onto the plot area.  Surely there is a way to overlay onto the plot things
>like
>"a = 1.2, b= 2.0,....." and save me all that trouble (and the chance of
>making errors).
>
>I'd even settle for printing a line under the plot which displays the same
>info -- I can't even figure out how to do that. I can make it output each
>parameter but it takes a full line for each one and this takes up a lot
>of paper.

To apply labels use Text with either Prolog or Epilog

Clear[f];
a=1;b=-4; c=3;
f[x_] := a*x^2+b*x+c;
soln=Solve[f[x]==0, x];
Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5},
    Frame->True, Axes->False,

    PlotStyle -> RGBColor[0, 0, 1],

    PlotLabel -> "Quadratic "<>
        ToString[TraditionalForm[f[x]]],
    Prolog ->{(n=Sign[D[f[x],x] /.soln[[1,1]]];
          Text["x="<>ToString[#], {#,0},{-1,(-1)^n++}]&/@

            (x/.soln)),

        AbsolutePointSize[5],

        RGBColor[1, 0, 0],