Re: How to save all the preferences easily?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34268] Re: How to save all the preferences easily?
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 05:54:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Vladimir,

You may be able to do what you want by using menu>Edit>Preferences.
This will give you the Option Inspector with scope set to global, which
means that if you alter some settings
(for example make Background->RBGColor[1,0,0]) and then click Apply, then
the new settings will be used in notebooks there after ( unless overridden
by settings for individual notebooks made with the scope set to notebook.

Any non-default settings will have small ball on their left; the default
setting can be restored by double clicking on the ball.

Another possibility is make your own style sheet:
Go to the file at address

         ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd",
"StyleSheets"}]

Then, for example,
        Add a copy of Default.nb with name MyDefault.nb.
        Open the MyDefault.nb
        Make any changes that you want,  for example make the cell Prototype
for style: "Notebook" yellow by
either
- looking at its cell expression with menu>Format>Show Expression adding the
option  Background->RBGColor[1,1,0]; reformatting with menu>Format>Show
Expression
or
- selecting the cell; using menu>Format>Option Inspector to get the Option
Inspector with scope set to Selection; using Cell Options> DisplayOptions >
Background to set the color and then clicking apply.

then save the style sheet.

You will, I think, have to reload Mathematica to be able to use the new
stile sheet: easily done for a selected open notebook by menu>Format>Style
Sheet.

If you actually want MyDefault to be the default then use the Option
Inspector with scope Global and setting Global Options>File
Locations>DefaultStyleDefinitions -> "MyDefault.nb". The new default will be
used after Mathematica has been reloaded.

Allan

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK