ValueQ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34327] ValueQ
  • From: rainer <rainer.gruber at gmx.at>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 03:35:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I#m searching for a simple workaround of the following behaviour.

For the symbol 'a' I've defined

In[1]:=
   a[1] = 2;

When I evaluate ValueQ for a defined and for not a defined expression I
get what I expect:

In[3]:=
   ValueQ[a[1]]
Out[3]=
   True

In[4]:=
   ValueQ[a[2]]
Out[4]=
   False

But when I evaluate ValueQ e. g. within a Table I always get True:

In[5]:=
   Table[ValueQ[a[i]], {i, 1, 2}]
Out[5]=
   {True, True}

The 2nd 'True' is because 'a[i]' is not equal to 'a[2]'. A first
solution to get the expected result is

In[6]:=
   Table[ToExpression@("ValueQ[a[" <> ToString[i] <> "]]"), {i, 1, 2}]
Out[6]=