RE: ParametricPlot3D without black lines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34377] RE: [mg34353] ParametricPlot3D without black lines
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 06:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Maciej,

In Graphics3D the outlines of the polygons are controlled with the directive
EdgeForm and not by the Mesh option (which applies only to SurfaceGraphics).
EdgeForm[] specifies that the edges not be rendered.

The only problem is how to sneak in the EdgeForm[] directive. The standard
Mathematica method is a bit unnatural. But here is the method.

Let's work with a parametrization for a sphere.

sphere = {Cos[t]Cos[p], Sin[t]Cos[p], Sin[p]};

This generates the plot without display.

plot1 = ParametricPlot3D[sphere // Evaluate, {p, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, {t, 0, 2Pi},
      DisplayFunction  -> Identity];

This puts in EdgeForm[] and displays the sphere without the "mesh".

Show[Graphics3D[EdgeForm[]], plot1];

A second method is to use the form of ParametricPlot3D where a fourth
argument is added to the parametrization. The Help says that this is a way
to specify a color, but you can put any 3D directives there, including
EdgeForm.

sphere2 = Join[sphere, {EdgeForm[]}]
{Cos[p] Cos[t], Cos[p] Sin[t], Sin[p], EdgeForm[]}

Then, the following produces the desired plot.

ParametricPlot3D[sphere2 // Evaluate, {p, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, {t, 0, 2Pi}];

Are either of these two methods a very natural or intuitive way to obtain
the result? I don't think so and that is why this is such a frequent
question on MathGroup.

In the DrawGraphics package, available at my web site, you just put the
directives you want followed by the graphics objects that use those
directives. It would be done this way.

Needs["DrawGraphics`DrawingMaster`"]

Draw3DItems[
    {EdgeForm[],
     ParametricDraw3D[sphere // Evaluate, {p, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, {t, 0, 2Pi}]}];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net