Why do parentheses spuriously appear when I type in a formula?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34410] Why do parentheses spuriously appear when I type in a formula?
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 03:51:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

For some strange reason, I want to type into Mathematica an expression that
should look like T^a_b, that is, the b subscript of T raised to the a power.
My exact key strokes are T Ctrl-^ a Ctrl-space Ctrl-_ b. However, when I
enter this expression into mathematica, it adds (spuriously in my mind) some
parentheses, so that I get (T^a)_b. I would like to know what causes these
parentheses to be added, and if there is anything I can do to prevent them
from appearing. What I have to do now is go back into the expression and
edit out the parentheses.

Carl Woll
Physics Dept
U of Washington