MathInstaller fails in SuSE 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34433] MathInstaller fails in SuSE 8.0
  • From: Ronald Bruck <bruck at math.usc.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 04:15:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've updated my SuSE 7.3 to SuSE 8.0 (fresh install), and was trying to
reinstall Mathematica.  The installer asks me where I want to install
Mathematica (I select "/usr/local/mathematica"), then whether I want a
default or custom installation (I select default)--after which it
informs me it can't determine what kind of system it's running on.

OK, so I invoke MathInstaller as

    ./MathInstaller -sys Linux

per the instructions--and the same thing happens.

Same thing happens when I try the Custom install.

Does anybody have a workaround?  This is on my Premiere Subscription,
so I'll e-mail Wolfram about the problem, but maybe somebody's already
worked this out.

Mathematica 4.1.2 for Linux.

--Ron Bruck